27 Mar How to Apply for Anything (Step 2 of 3)
(Hi! This is our second post this week on applying for an opportunity–fellowship, grant, consultancy, etc.) For the first post, click here.
- if possible, interview a relevant person at the source about the opportunity you’re applying for:
- be honest about why you want to interview them; say you want what’s called an “informational interview” when you request the interview; it helps to put the other person at ease
- set a time-limit (15-30 minutes should be way plenty) and end on time
- thank them before, during and after the interview
- interview a reliable third-party source of information about the opportunity (someone who has had it, for example):
- follow all the same rules as above
- avoid the temptation to ask compromising questions; you’ll hear plenty if you listen with an open mind asking yourself, “is this really right for me?”
- question yourself: is this right for me or our organization right now? if so, how? list the ways. you’ll use them to make your proposal-writing much easier in the next and final step.